skip to navigation
skip to page content

Contacting Us

We are now able to take calls on our normal reception office telephone number, but the service is limited and where possible you should continue to email us. There are some website links you may find useful at this time.

Before contacting the Crofting Commission please first view the options below as you may find the answer to your question immediately.  If you click on the question it will expand so you can see the answer.


Has my application been received?

We will acknowledge receipt of your application once it has been checked and validated. We also put a list of applications received onto this website  which is updated on a weekly basis, so you may wish to check that list before contacting us.

I want to know how my case is progressing.

We will contact you at each stage of the application process to advise you of progress, for example we will send you an acknowledgment letter once the application is validated, we will let you know if there have been any submissions as a result of the public notification and let you know if we need to get a report from SGRPID etc.

Please remember if your application was sent to us by an agent working on your behalf, it will be the agent who we correspond with.


I need an application form.

All our application forms and guidance notes are available on this website  

Please read all the information carefully to make sure you are using the correct form as this is a common reason for us having to return applications. Another of the main reasons we have to return applications is errors in the accompanying maps so please make sure the maps meet the necessary requirements.

How long will my application take to process?

Timescales will depend on the type of application and if there are negative submissions following the public notification period.  It will also be dependent on whether or not your croft is registered with Registers of Scotland.   

I have a question about my croft.

You may want to check the information in our Register of Crofts Online where you can access details about your croft.

I have a question about croft registration

The  Commission assess the validity of croft registration applications and collect and pay all application fees to the Keeper of the Registers of Scotland.   All application forms and mapping requirements can be found on the Registers of Scotland website.

You can also view who should register and when,-and-when

Where can new and existing crofters get help?



The Scottish Crofting Federation (SCF) run a variety of courses for new and existing crofters

T: 01854 612220


Farm Advisory Service (FAS)

FAS also run a variety of training events and give access to materials tailored to the needs of crofters and smallholders.


e.g fencing, agricultural buildings

Contact your local  SGRPID office – contact details can be found at:

Housing Grant for new build or improvements

Croft House Grant Scheme (CHGS) - contact the CHGS team in Tiree

T: 01879 – 220240


Your Area Assessor

Contact details are on this website

Your local Grazings Committee

You can access details of grazings committees on our ROC Online or email us at

Other Useful Websites

I want to know how to get a croft.

Few croft tenancies come on to the market and when they do they are in great demand. Prospective crofters can look for tenancies in local newspapers or may contact crofting solicitors or estate agents to register their interest. Some have found a croft by placing a 'wanted' advertisement in the relevant local newspaper. The Scottish Crofting Federation (SCF) is compiling a list of those interested in acquiring a croft and will provide information on how to find a croft and vacant crofts available. If you wish to be in this initiative please contact 01599 530005.

We do not own any crofts and on the few occasions where we take action to let a croft tenancy we advertise and invite interest for the tenancy in a local newspaper.


I need general information about crofting.

You will find a lot of information on crofting throughout this website, and also in our Register of Crofts Online    You can also search our general Frequently Asked Questions page which lists questions under topic headings 

Want to contact a Commissioner?

Rod Mackenzie, Convener,

Mairi Mackenzie, Commissioner,

David Campbell, Commissioner,

Billy Neilson, Commissioner,

Iain M Maciver, Commissioner,

Andy Holt, Commissioner,

Cyril Annal, Commissioner,

Malcolm Matheson, Commissioner,

James Scott, Commissioner,

Something else.

If you haven't found the information you want in the sections above, you can contact us using the details below.  If you would like to visit our office to discuss a crofting matter we recommend you telephone us first (01463 663439) to arrange an appointment so we can ensure a member of staff is available to see you.

Crofting Commission,
Great Glen House,
Leachkin Road,
Inverness, IV3 8NW 

01463 663439


Something else.

If you haven't found the information you want in the sections above, you can contact us using the details below.

Write to: Crofting Commission, Great Glen House, Leachkin Road, Inverness, IV3 8NW 


Telephone: 01463 663439

Unfortunately we cannot accept physical visitors to the office at this time.

Contacting Us

Covid -19

The Commission is now accepting new applications, but as all staff continue to work from home and the office remains closed, these will be processed more slowly than usual. Any applications that relate to statutory deadlines, or which concern a Crofting Register form to notify the Commission that an event has taken place, will be given priority over other applications.

Where applications require a site visit, it will not be possible for any site visit to be carried out until the government eases the current restrictions on movement.Where any application involves a hearing, no hearings will take place until the current restrictions on movement are eased and the government has advised that public meetings (with appropriate physical distancing) can take place.

Approved Applications:

If you are a crofter who has had an application approved by the Commission within the last 3 months
Please read this important information regarding effecting Commission regulatory decisions.

You can continue to contact us by email and although we are now in a position to deal with phone calls to our reception line, few staff have access to work phones to make return calls and therefore the service will be limited. We would therefore ask that you continue to contact us via email.

The Commission understands that this is a difficult time for all concerned, but we wish to reassure crofters and their agents that we will continue to work to restore normal levels of service. It is unlikely that this can be fully restored until the government permits offices to reopen and for various restrictions on movements and meetings to be eased.
20 May 2020.

Crofting Commission, Great Glen House, Leachkin Road, Inverness, IV3 8NW


Greener Scotland Logo

Social Impact Pledge Logo

© Crofting Commission 2020Site MapSite by Plexus.